Friday, March 24, 2006

A Funeral Recalled

This week we attended the funeral of neighbour Allan ,a great gentleman who has led a most interesting life. Apart from the sadness for his family (2 daughters, son-in-law and 3 grandsons) and our dear friend Lydia , (here in the village also who was his partner for the past 2 years) Allan's funeral seemed mostly to give his friends (and family ) a chance to pay tribute to this fine man.Included in the service booklet were many quotes, verses and poems, including two written by Allan himself. With respect and admiration of Allan and to his daughters, I won't publish that all here but would very much like to quote two verses from his poem " AT MY FUNERAL". Do not dim the lights
Nor draw the curtains
I have had my time
More hours than I had dared to wish
Wear no black for me
I should not be mourned
Except if you recall
Some merit in my life.
My thanks and rest in Peace Allan.

No comments: